Besides the obvious Patsy Cline, Winchester has sprouted many famous individuals! Besides politicians and other government officials, actors, musicians, Nascar drivers, baseball and football players have all been born here in our little town!
Well known actor David Arquette was born in Winchester! Fancy that!
Here is a little list of some other Winchester residents:
* Brigadier General Turner Ashby, Confederate cavalry commander buried in Stonewall Cemetery
* Joe Bageant, writer and journalist
* Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd, pioneering polar explorer
* Willa Cather, Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist
* Patsy Cline, (1932–1963) country/pop music vocalist/icon
* U.S. Solicitor General Holmes Conrad, under President Grover Cleveland and Confederate cavalry Major in the American Civil War
* Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron, buried in Winchester
* Lieutenant General Thomas J. Stonewall Jackson, while commanding the Valley District of the Army of Northern Virginia from Oct 1861–Dec 1862
* Frederick W. M. Holliday, member of the Confederate Congress during the American Civil War and the Governor of Virginia from 1878 to 1882
* John Kirby, jazz musician in the Big Band and Jazz Hall of Fame
* Senator and Commissioner James Murray Mason, grandson of George Mason and Commissioner of the Confederate States to Great Britain and France
* Cornelia Peake McDonald, notable civil war diarist of Winchester
* Hunter McGuire, M.D. (1835-1900), Chief Surgeon of the Second “Jackson’s” Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia, famous for sparking the Confederate policy of returning captured Union surgeons in the American Civil War
* Mark McFarland, NASCAR driver
* Devon McTavish, professional soccer player who currently plays for D.C. United
* Representative and Major General Daniel Morgan, Major General of the Virginia Militia in the Revolutionary War, buried at Mount Hebron Cemetery
* Admiral Louis M. Nulton, superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy (1925-1928) and Commander Battle Fleet (1929-1930).
* Spotswood Poles, accomplished baseball player in the precursor to the Negro Leagues
* President and Lieutenant General George Washington, surveyor of the Fairfax Landgrant, first elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses from Winchester
* Brigadier General James Wood, governor of Virginia, son of the founder of Winchester
Just something to think about when you are walking around town… who else has walked the same path?
SynamonTags: actor, famous faces, Nascar